Newvision law firm is one of the head companies in field of intellectual property. We have more experience about register trademarks, industrial design, patent, copyright in Vietnam. To answer the client ‘s question, we give some basic information, as follow:
Some Notes to register and owner trademark in Vietnam
1. Fees schedule
The basic fees are calculated based on the number of class of goods/services which your trademark is registered. Therefore, to know more information about our quotation please answer the following questions:
- Where do you derive your business income?
- What is the nature of your business?
- What are you known for by your customers/clients?
- What products or services does your business provide?
Upon receiving your reply, we will provide our exact quotation fee for your kind consideration.
2. Procedures and time frame
The duration for a trademark application from mature to proceed to registration is around 14-18 months from the filing date, involving these stages (1) examination as to formality and publication on the Gazette (3 months); (2) examination as to substance (9 months) and (3) issuance of registration certificate for the registered mark (2 months).
Kindly note that the term for registration process normally takes longer to several months in practice due to the workload of the National Office of Intellectual Property (NOIP)and the slow examination process by the NOIP’s examiner.
3. Necessary documents
- Name and address of the Applicant;
- List of Goods/Services;
- Specimen of the applied mark;
- An original Power of Attorney which is simply signed by the Applicant (Please be informed that a scanned/faxed copy of the Power of Attorney is acceptable upon filing provided that the original copy is submitted within 01 month from the filing date).
3. Validity term of a trademark registration
After receiving Certificate of trademark registration from National Office of Intellectual Property (NOIP), the owner of this trademark should consider some points as follows:
- The validity term of a trademark registration is 10 years from the filing date which is renewable for every ten years. Please update the expiry dates of the registration accordingly.
- Please be note that under local law, a registered trademark is vulnerable to an invalidation action by a third party if it is not in use in 5 consecutive years from the granted date. Accordingly, please make sure that the subjected trademark should be used in Vietnam best before the due date.